Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cubicle Conundrum - Day 80

Q: Well I completed my self-appraisal. Now I just need to submit it, and it’s all up to my manager to seal my appraisal for the quarter.

N: Great. I hope you gave yourself a 10 in everything.

Q: Of course not. I was honest.

N: Honest?

Q: Yes.



N: Honesty is pointless. You’re going to submit your appraisal to somebody who is least interested in doing it. So he’s not even going to care about what you’ve given yourself. He’s just going to approve it. So while you’ve gone ahead and given him some honest feedback, somebody else with half the talent has just given himself a 10/10 in every category and will find his appraisal much higher than yours.



Q: ….

N: ….



Q: Well these appraisals don’t matter anyway. I get my final rating based on the peer-review.

N: Oh, right. The peer review. Where everyone gives the other a lower rating.



Q: Well, yeah but in the end it goes to my manager who will decide. Who knows our performance better than our manager?

N: The same manager who might refer to your appraisal for the quarter?



Q: ….

N: ….

Q: ….



N: You’re welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment